Thursday, December 11, 2008

Food poisoning anyone?

Dec. 11
Hello and happy two weeks before Christmas!

Jeff and I both took turns having food poisoning this week, and lucky me, I had it about 10 times worse than he did. For those of you who haven't experienced vomiting while six months pregnant, let me just tell you, you're really missing out on something very special . . . and disgusting. Two days later, I'm feeling mostly better, but my insides hurt from all the heaving (sorry for the gross details).

I know many of you are eagerly awaiting trash talk about the Laurel Creek Christmas party, but alas, although a pleasant evening, it was utterly uneventful. Though, in keeping with their reputation, my neighbors did close the party down, many of them with a hearty dose of booze under their belts (hey, if it's free, why not, right?).

Always trying to keep up with Martha, I had to bake eight dozen cookies this week for a cookie exchange (add eight dozen to those trays you burn, plus extras to make up for less than pretty cookies, and we're talking 10 dozen). I came home with a ton of cookies, but since we were both sick, we haven't even tried any.

Since this neighborhood goes a little wild at Christmas, I invited Addie's preschool class over for dinner and a Christmas light walk. I'm sure those of you who saw Jeff's decorations in Portland were worried how they'd fit in here in here in the south - but no worries, there's something about a big yard that somehow makes them all a bit more tasteful looking . . . Or it could be the fact that every yard has an inflatable or three, so we just blend in.

I took the cat to the vet again (and we're due again in January), but alas, did not get put in the room with the Gun & Garden magazine. But I did have a chance to read The Christian Veterinarian, and it's all that you'd imagine it would be. I just can't believe I've gone my whole life completely unaware that these types of literature existed. And I called myself an English Major.

On the upside of a very expensive vet visit, I did find an add for a veterinarian mission trip to Mongolia to help train local vets in small animal care. Do you think my experience with Tiny Bubbles qualifies me?

About a week ago, Jeff and I were watching TV (okay, he was watching, and I was napping), and he poked me and said in amazement, "Do you see this?!" Normally, Jeff pays no mind to the unusual Southerners of where we live, so I was doubly amazed that he felt inclined to poke me. Anyway, the 10 o'clock news was doing a feature story on . . . wait for it . . . Jesus Christ. It was, and I am not making this up, a biography of the Savior himself. Now remember, this wasn't a Christmas special, or the religious channel, it was a mainstream Charlotte news channel just doing their part to spread The Word.

I realize that was probably normal for these parts, but coming from the Pacific Northwest, where you can't even sing the Pledge of Allegiance, I was awed.

The church where Addie goes to preschool puts on a huge Journey Through Bethlehem every year. It's an interactive reenactment of Jesus' birth with over 500 cast members, and since we knew the Baby Jesus, we felt obligated to go. It was well done, and definitely worth the free admission. Although we had no idea they spoke with such deep southern accents in Bethlehem . . .

As some of you know, we've been working at potty training with Addie for some time now, and to no avail. In an effort to move things along, I switched Addie to pull-ups, which has helped dramatically, but honestly, who has the patients for this? Addie now wants to sit on the potty all the time, particularly when we're out shopping. You'd think this would be great, and a step in the right direction, but we've had ZERO successes so far. Not only that, she's also quite particularly about where and how she sits. It has to be upstairs on her potty (never mind that we have a little seat and stool set up for her downstairs), Jeff or I have to be with her, and books and/or toys are a must. I realize it's my job to be supportive and all that, but good lord, 5:40am in the morning does not a supportive mother make.

Well, only one week and one day until we fly back to Oregon. For those of you who we won't get to see while home (ie you don't live there), Merry Christmas!!

Much Love,
Kate

1 comment:

Erin said...

Kate!

I just got your Christmas card and had to come right over and read your blog. I love it. Isn't the south grand? Certainly a different pace and style of life. Congrats on the new baby! My guess is she'll be as adorable as Addie! Hope you have a safe trip home for Christmas. I have a blog too if you're ever bored and looking for a good way to waste a few minutes...

http://packagestiedupwithstring.blogspot.com/

Great to hear from you!

Erin Meeker